No need to be scared anymore of making a fashion faux-pas by wearing white in the winter. Rules that used to apply back in the day don’t have any value anymore. Wear whatever you want, just do it with confidence! In this post, I have a few tips on wearing white in the winter today. Plus I’m sharing a little bit about this winter phenomenon that only happens in Calgary a few times each year.
How to Wear Winter White
Wearing white in the winter is no longer a fashion travesty, it’s being embraced by fashionistas and stylists all over the world. Fashion seems to be breaking all the traditional rules these days, and I love it!!! “No white after Labour Day” is totally a thing of the past. Here are a few suggestions:
- If you don’t want to dive right in, then try a few accessories like this faux fur white coat from Chicwish or these kitten heel booties from Target.
- White and black look polished and sleek together. Try a black jumpsuit under a white blazer, or the other way around.
- If you love colour, like me, then you can offset the plain with a little punch of red or pink. These boots are definitely not the best for running through snow, but I couldn’t resist!
- Try a chunky white sweater or turtle neck over dark denim.
- Try white skinny jeans with a coloured ankle boot or an over-the-knee boot in grey.
When the hoar frost settles in, it creates the most beautiful landscape in Calgary. It doesn’t happen very often, so I just on the chance to get out and shoot. It typically happens after a fog when there is a lot of water vapour in the air, followed by a drop in temperature. The vapour freezes to any vegetation, creating these sparkling ice crystals that can be an inch thick. A sunny day or rise in temperature can melt them quick, so there is no time to wait if you want to capture them! These crystals were gone only a couple of hours after I did this little photo shoot. Well worth freezing in -15 degrees to capture this winter phenomenon!